Saturday, March 14, 2015

yellow bridesmaid

My girlfriend when I was in uni was sort of tolerant of me dressing up.  I was skinny and cute back then too, so she had a bit of fun dressing me up and making me over a few times.

In the holidays she left a load of her dresses round at my house, so whilst the cat was away, the mice certainly played.

She had this lovely pale lemon coloured 80's bridesmaid dress (which was where the whole bridesmaid thing started for me) that was hanging up in my wardrobe that was extremely tempting.  Too tempting!

I actually took a bunch of photos of me dressed up - which was pretty brave given that everything was film back then.  I remembered to scan a few of them before I chucked the originals away.


This dress was awesome - a really lovely light yellow satin taffeta with a nice big bow at the back.  The large puffy sleeves were lined with netting too, which kept them big and puffed out.  Bodice was boned and well shaped and had a lovely basque waist.  There was a lovely 4 layer net petticoat which was stiff and pouffy.  Just about perfect.

Anyway, plenty of adventures in that dress.  I usually waited until it was late before driving out in my car - in hindsight, you can see a lot inside a dark car at night in a big city.  Ah well - it's not as if anything happened.  

I used to drive out to wedding shops, park outside and look longingly in at the huge dresses of the early 90's.  I used to dream of being accidentally locked in a big wedding dress shop naked....you can imagine the rest.  

I once walked around the university like this - actually this photo might have been the day I did it. I waited until it was late 2 or 3am, it was the summer holidays so no students about - those days the campus was open and there were only a few cameras about - I'd imagine they were pretty crappy quality too.  I parked up and just wandered about the huge campus.  Over quads, past the library, outside the union, by the bars - everywhere.   It was such a good feeling that I forget about the time and it started to get light as it does in Europe.  I was suddenly aware of being dressed exactly as you see about but on the wrong side of the campus and it was dawn.  

I had to hustle on, cutting through the large campus, dress billowing up behind me like Scarlet O'Hara in gone with the wind.  High heels clacking - I was really worried that I would get spotted.  I might have been for all I know..

I got back to the car as the campus security patrol car came into the carpark, I nonchalantly started the car and drove off...leaving them wondering...well, I don't know, I didn't hang about.

I then realised I had to drive through the city just as regular life was starting up for the day...  The sun was up and I had a problem!  And then should I survive the car journey, I had to get back into the house dressed up like a prom queen.  

What had I done?!   

This theme of being forced out into the open in dresses and the thrill of being maybe seen/caught has never left me..





No comments:

Post a Comment